Forms of hosting services
A hosting service is connected with stockpiling and/or sharing given web content on a web hosting server administered by a web hosting distributor. There are different forms of hosting services utilized for different ends, so let's explore them. In that way, you can conclude what you need, depending on whether you wish to run a website, e-mail accounts, or to share files with chums and acquaintances.
- File hosting: a service supplied by some file storage providers, which permits you to share enormous files. These could be disk images, films, audio files, archived documents, and so on. This solution is also known as file storage, and its single designation is to share files, since it does not support website uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either get an accidentally created download link for each of them, or you will be able to view an index of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to view .html or .php web page files in your browser. Free-of-cost file storage plans frequently involve advertisements beside the download links, while a timer obliges you to wait for a given amount of time to perceive them. A given file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you get a paid file storage account, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download instantly, and also there is no limit when it comes to the download speed or the file size.
These days, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting firms, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more faddish "cloud hosting". This is a totally distorted explanation of the literal meaning of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting environment would allot the tasks at hand between separate packs of web hosting servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to attending various web page hosting services (mail, data storage, statistics, DNS, databases, web page hosting Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting service is just a type of a disk storage hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: close to file hosting; specific suppliers offer a hosting solution for pictures only. This hosting brand is appropriate if you wish to share a vast number of images with friends or colleagues since the solution is usually free of cost. You will get a randomly generated link for each and every picture or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the solution cannot be used for sites.
- Email hosting: a service committed to handling your email addresses. Some suppliers provide webspace hosting services for web pages, but do not offer an email hosting service. If you wish to create an e-mail address with your domain name but do not desire to run a web site, then the e-mail hosting service is what you want. You can open email box accounts and manage them, but there will be no hosting service for the domains. The email hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP servers.
- Video hosting: this solution enables you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to a certain video file, or you can embed the video clip in your website that is hosted somewhere else. The advantage of availing of this method in lieu of uploading the video file in a web hosting account is that the video clip generates a certain amount of CPU load, so with several video files and several hundred website viewers, you may have trouble with your site hosting quotas. Embedding the video will enable you to keep as many video clips as you want to without bothering about system reserves.
- Web page hosting: this is the service that you require if you want to run a web site. To some extent, it involves all of the aforementioned hosting sorts since, along with your websites, you can also host pictures and files, you can set up databases and e-mails, upload video files, and so on. At ipsi, for example, you can have a glimpse at web hosting and dedicated web hosting packages that permit you to get all of the aforesaid solutions in a single location. There may be restrictions based on the kind of hosting service that you've opted for - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your site hosting plan may be better or worse compared to the typical email/file/video/image hosting accounts that are intended for specific content exclusively.